1 an unbroken series of events; "had a streak of bad luck"; "Nicklaus had a run of birdies" [syn: run]
2 a distinctive characteristic; "he has a stubborn streak"; "a streak of wildness"
3 a marking of a different color or texture from the background [syn: stripe]
4 a sudden flash (as of lightning)
1 move quickly in a straight line; "The plane streaked across the sky"
2 run naked in a public place
3 mark with spots or blotches of different color or shades of color as if stained [syn: mottle, blotch]
- Rhymes: -iːk
Nounstreak (plural: streaks)
- An irregular line left from smearing or motion.
- The picture I took out the car window had streaks.
- A continuous series
of like events.
- I hope I can keep up this streak of accomplishments.
- The color of the powder of a mineral. So called, because a simple field test for a mineral is to streak it against unglazed white porcelain.
- A moth of the family Geometridae Chesias legatella (see Streak (moth)).
- A tendency or
but not a dominant or
- She's a quiet, bookish person, but she has a rebellious streak.
an irregular line left from smearing or motion
continuous series of events
- Finnish: sarja
color of mineral powder
- Finnish: viiru
- Finnish: jänönvihmamittari
non-dominant tendency or characteristic
- Finnish: piirre
- to have or obtain streaks;
- If you clean a window in direct sunlight, it will streak.
- to run naked in public
- It was a pleasant game until some guy went streaking across the field.
- to create streaks
- You will streak a window by cleaning it in direct sunlight.
to run naked in public
- Finnish: viuhahtaa
to create streaks
- Finnish: juovittaa
Streak or streaking may refer to:
- Streaking, running naked in a public place
- Streaking (microbiology), a method of purifying micro-organisms
- Streak (mineralogy), the color left by a mineral dragged across a rough surface
- Streak camera, device to measure short optical pulses
- Streak (moth), in the family Geometridae
- "The Streak", a 1974 record by Ray Stevens
- Archenteron, an indentation on a blastula
- Streak (video game), a PlayStation video game
- Heath Streak, former Zimbabwe cricket team captain.
- Streaker (disambiguation)
X ray, actinic ray, actinism, animus, antelope, aptitude, arrow, atomic beam, atomic ray, band, bar, beam, beam of light, belt, bent, bespangle, bespeckle, bespot, bezel, bias, blaze, blaze a trail, blemish, blotch, blue darter, blue streak, body-build, bolt, brand, canal, canalize, cannonball, carve, cast, chalk, chalk up, chamfer, channel, character, characteristic, characteristics, chase, check, check off, checker, chink, chisel, cicatrize, complexion, composition, constituents, constitution, corrugate, corrugation, courser, crack, cranny, crasis, craze, crimp, cross-hatching, cut, dado, dapple, dart, dash, daub, define, delimit, delineation, demarcate, dharma, diagonal, diathesis, dike, discolor, disposition, ditch, dot, dotted line, eagle, eccentricity, electricity, engrave, engraving, ethos, express train, fiber, flake, flash, fleck, flute, fluting, fly, frame, freckle, furrow, gamma ray, gash, gazelle, genius, gleam, goffer, gouge, grain, greased lightning, greyhound, groove, gruel, gully, habit, hachure, hairline, hare, harlequin, hasten, hatch, hatching, hue, humor, humors, hurry, hurtle, idiosyncrasy, ilk, impress, imprint, incise, incision, inclination, individualism, infrared ray, invisible radiation, iris, jet plane, kidney, kind, lath, layer, leam, leaning, light, lightning, line, lineation, list, maculate, make, make a mark, makeup, marble, marbleize, mark, mark off, mark out, mental set, mercury, mere shadow, mettle, microgroove, mind, mind-set, mold, motley, mottle, nature, nick, notch, paper, patch, pencil, pepper, period, photon, physique, pleat, plow, point, polychrome, polychromize, predilection, predisposition, preference, prick, print, proclivity, propensity, property, punch, punctuate, puncture, quality, quicksilver, rabbet, race, radiation, radiorays, rail, rainbow, rake, ray, ray of light, ribbon, ribbon of light, riddle, rifle, rifling, rocket, ruck, run, rush, rut, scar, scared rabbit, scarify, scoot, score, scotch, scratch, seal, seam, set, shadow, shaving, shot, skeleton, slant, slash, slat, slip, slit, smear, solar rays, somatotype, sort, soup, spangle, spate, speck, speckle, speed, spell, spirit, splinter, splotch, spot, sprinkle, sprint, stain, stamp, stigmatize, stipple, strain, strake, stratum, streak of lightning, streaking, stream, stream of light, streamer, stretch, stria, striate, striation, striature, striga, striola, strip, stripe, striped snake, striping, stroke, stud, sublineation, suchness, sulcation, sulcus, swallow, system, tattoo, tear, temper, temperament, tendency, tenor, tessellate, thought, thunderbolt, tick, tick off, tone, torrent, touch, trace, trench, trough, turn, turn of mind, twist, type, ultraviolet ray, underline, underlining, underscore, underscoring, variegate, vein, violet ray, virgule, wafer, warp, way, well-worn groove, whistle, whiz, wind, wrinkle, zip, zoom